Gift in Your Will or Living Trust

Deepen Your Connections

Through a will or living trust, you can give to Central College knowing you have flexibility and support when you need it.

It's quick and easy to complete your gift. And doing so will help open doors that enrich all aspects of Central for years to come.

In as little as one sentence, you can include a gift to Central College in your will or living trust. This type of donation will help change the lives of future generations of Central College students for years to come.

Watch How It Works

See How It Works

Why Put Central College in Your Will?

Joel and Shayla From

Our first impression of Central College was when our son, Justin, Class of 2006, enrolled as a freshman. Through the eyes of our son, we learned very quickly the value of a Central College education. We were extremely impressed by the rigorous academic courses, the quality of professors and the integrity of the coaches. We started to notice that Central develops the whole student: mind, body and spirit.

One Central parent told us: "What does a Central graduate have on either side of him when he graduates? A professor." Of course, when Justin graduated, there were two of his favorite professors standing there!

Along with academics and athletics, there was another component to a Central education: service. The college's emphasis on service significantly impacted Justin. He developed a commitment that follows him to this day.

During Justin's time at Central and still today, we have come to know and appreciate how special the Central family is — the talented faculty, administration, staff and students we feel fortunate to call friends.

So, why did we include Central in our will? To give back to a college that has given so much to our family and ensure that many generations have the opportunities of a Central education.

—Joel and Shayla From

Next Steps

  1. Contact Deb Calderwood at 641-628-5138 or for additional information on bequests or to chat more about the different options for including Central in your will or estate plan.
  2. Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
  3. If you include Central in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.

Legal Name: Central College
Address: 812 University St., Box 5200, Pella, IA 50219
Federal Tax ID Number: Please contact us for our federal tax ID number.

Fund Your Donation With:

Not Sure How to Begin Planning?

Create a secure plan for you and your loved ones with our FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit.

Download My Kit

Gifts That Pay

Your payments depend on your age at the time of the donation. If you are younger than 60, we recommend that you learn more about your options and download this FREE guide Plan for Retirement With a Deferred Gift Annuity.

Planned Giving Disclaimer

A charitable bequest is one or two sentences in your will or living trust that leave to Central College a specific item, an amount of money, a gift contingent upon certain events or a percentage of your estate.

an individual or organization designated to receive benefits or funds under a will or other contract, such as an insurance policy, trust or retirement plan

"I give to Central College, a nonprofit corporation currently located at 812 University St., Box 5200, Pella, IA 50219, or its successor thereto, ______________ [written amount or percentage of the estate or description of property] for its unrestricted use and purpose."

able to be changed or cancelled

A revocable living trust is set up during your lifetime and can be revoked at any time before death. They allow assets held in the trust to pass directly to beneficiaries without probate court proceedings and can also reduce federal estate taxes.

cannot be changed or cancelled

tax on gifts generally paid by the person making the gift rather than the recipient

the original value of an asset, such as stock, before its appreciation or depreciation

the growth in value of an asset like stock or real estate since the original purchase

the price a willing buyer and willing seller can agree on

The person receiving the gift annuity payments.

the part of an estate left after debts, taxes and specific bequests have been paid

a written and properly witnessed legal change to a will

the person named in a will to manage the estate, collect the property, pay any debt, and distribute property according to the will

A donor advised fund is an account that you set up but which is managed by a nonprofit organization. You contribute to the account, which grows tax-free. You can recommend how much (and how often) you want to distribute money from that fund to Central or other charities. You cannot direct the gifts.

An endowed gift can create a new endowment or add to an existing endowment. The principal of the endowment is invested and a portion of the principal’s earnings are used each year to support our mission.

Tax on the growth in value of an asset—such as real estate or stock—since its original purchase.

Securities, real estate or any other property having a fair market value greater than its original purchase price.

Real estate can be a personal residence, vacation home, timeshare property, farm, commercial property or undeveloped land.

A charitable remainder trust provides you or other named individuals income each year for life or a period not exceeding 20 years from assets you give to the trust you create.

You give assets to a trust that pays our organization set payments for a number of years, which you choose. The longer the length of time, the better the potential tax savings to you. When the term is up, the remaining trust assets go to you, your family or other beneficiaries you select. This is an excellent way to transfer property to family members at a minimal cost.

You fund this type of trust with cash or appreciated assets—and may qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction when you itemize. You can also make additional gifts; each one also qualifies for a tax deduction. The trust pays you, each year, a variable amount based on a fixed percentage of the fair market value of the trust assets. When the trust terminates, the remaining principal goes to Central as a lump sum.

You fund this trust with cash or appreciated assets—and may qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction when you itemize. Each year the trust pays you or another named individual the same dollar amount you choose at the start. When the trust terminates, the remaining principal goes to Central as a lump sum.

A beneficiary designation clearly identifies how specific assets will be distributed after your death.

A charitable gift annuity involves a simple contract between you and Central where you agree to make a gift to Central and we, in return, agree to pay you (and someone else, if you choose) a fixed amount each year for the rest of your life.

Personal Estate Planning Kit Request Form

Please provide the following information to view the materials for planning your estate.

First name is required
Last Name is required
Please include an '@' in the email address

eBrochure Request Form

Please provide the following information to view the brochure.

First name is required
Last Name is required
Please include an '@' in the email address